Updated! LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM : es-americas

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 11:14:43 +0100

I have not approved es-americas. It does not seem to me that jumbling
es-AR, es-BO, es-CL, es-CO, es-CR, es-CU, es-DO, es-EC, es-FK, es-GT,
es-HN, es-MX, es-NI, es-PA, es-PE, es-PR, es-PY, es-SV, es-UY, es-VE
all into one identifies a single variety of Spanish any more
precisely than "es" by itself does, even within the varieties of
Spanish dialects in Spain itself. Indeed even taking some of the
salient phonetic features of "New World Spanish", one finds them in
Andaluc=EDa anyway. Features of both vocabulary and grammar differ from
country to country in the Americas, and they differ from each other
as much as they differ from Spain. So what is being identified? No
one thing is being identified, and therefore there's no justification
for adding a code for it, in my opinion.

I am open to be convinced otherwise.

=46or software development where a distinction between es-ES and
*es-americas is desired, I think the simplest thing to do is to
choose one of the American countries, whichever one has the most
features of the variety of Spanish you are identifying as
*es-americas, and use that.