Language tags for German

Martin Duerst duerst@w3.org
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:38:32 +0900

At 13:59 02/04/20 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
>Torsten,
>
>I raised a concern that software is already doing something about this
>kind of tagging. I have at least three applications now which can make
>distinctions between the 1996 and the 1901 orthographies.
>
>I requested that this be discussed also on the langtag@unicode.org list

I would strongly prefer if we could limit discussions to a single
list. The ietf-languages@iana.org list is open to anybody.

>and said that I was happy with the scheme providing that everyone on both
>lists was happy with it. I don't seem to be getting mail from
>langtag@unicode.org (though I thought I was subscribed to it), so I don't
>know if this discussion has occurred there or not. I wanted them to
>discuss it because of industrial involvement.
>
>(Or at least I think I did all this. Perhaps I dreamed it.)
>
>I'll process the application by Thursday next unless I hear objections
>from industry, how about that?
>
>So how many variants will be asked for out of the combinations below? Do
>you have references for each of the variants? That's necessary.

For reference, two versions of Duden (one for -1901, and one for
-1996), should be enough. The Duden contains notes for each entry
that is e.g. used in particular in Austria or Switzerland.
I hope Torsten can provide the details (it's probably best to
provide a new full list of registrations).

Regards,   Martin.