[Ext] RE: emoji (was Re: I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Mar 22 02:56:58 CET 2017

--On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 01:05 +0000 Shawn Steele
<Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:

> IMO, it'd be "nice" if registrars could figure out how to
> block those kinds of things, but given the size of the
> character repertoire (and font variations) it seems like
> there's no perfect solution to the homograph question, even if
> you confine it to common "letters".

There is never going to be a "perfect solution" to any of this.
If the position one is going to take is "no perfect solution, so
let's do nothing", I suppose I can understand that, but I can't
agree.  Instead, I think it is entirely reasonable to try to
devise rules to exclude potential labels that we know are going
to be problematic, especially given the idiosyncrasies of the
DNS even while knowing that we won't get all of the problem
cases.

YMMD.