I-D Action: draft-klensin-idna-rfc5891bis-00.txt

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Mar 12 06:40:48 CET 2017

On 3/11/2017 1:52 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:
> I'm not at all sure where language has anything to do with it.  And language independence is critical as the people trying to use the IDN may not be native speakers of the IDN's language.

I strongly agree; in the case of Unicode plain text (that is, without
font binding) knowing the "language" can, in principle, lead to some
differences in rendering, but they tend to be truly minor. Like the a
difference in preferred angle of the acute sign for Polish vs. French.
The same differences can be achieved via font selection -- in general,
the differences in appearance of plain text due to different fonts
selected when reading the text tends to exceed the nominal differences
in preferred appearance based on "language".

For identifiers, the fonts that truly matter are the standard UI fonts.
For those, there's not a whole lot of variation, and also not a lot of
language dependence.

> The fundamental "problem" is that some things seem like other things to some people some of the time.
>
> The size of the set of codepoints makes that inevitable.

When humans need to distinguish identifiers, human perception (and
reading habits) come into play.

> There's been tons of discussion about strange quirks of seriously esoteric characters and how those can lead to identifiers that seem disparate, but aren't (or vice versa.)  Kinda like ratholing on naive vs naïve.

"Seriously esoteric" -- I like that.

Some of the esoteric stuff, like historical characters, or characters
for unused/dying orthographies should be filtered out -- that simply
removes a set of problems without affecting utility.

> Yet we completely ignore other common problems, like Mueller vs Müller - which are admittedly language independent.
>
> In my opinion, part of the problem is goals:  Human usability vs machine uniqueness.  For machine uniqueness I'd think any set of rules would suffice because it boils down to a bunch of numbers.  For human usability you end up with confusables being an issue.  Those cannot be perfectly resolved because there are lots of minor pixel variations that are perfectly valid yet different.

It is useful to think of distances in perceptual space. Things like "rn"
vs. "m" have surprisingly little distance in perceptual space, but "r",
"n", and "m", taken by themselves are readily identified.

This is just one aspect where it's clear that trying to understand the
issue on the basis of individual code points does not lead you to a
solution of the full problem.

> Another human usability desire is to have the "right" display form, so that my businesses advertising "looks right" and yet customers can still find my business online.  IMO, that's the most interesting part of mapping, allowing pretty human forms to turn into machine-readable and somewhat consistent forms.  An unfortunate problem of the mapping is that the mapped form may not be as pretty.

In working on the Root Zone LGR we keep coming across issues that never
made it into any of these discussions before. For example, in Ethiopic,
the dominant language Amharic contains many words derived from an older
language. As a consequence of how the pronunciation and orthography
changed over time, the current situation is that a large percentage of
words has alternate spellings that are equally acceptable (and are
sounded out the same) but apparently without a canonical form.

It would be like having the spelling alternations "or/our" or "ise/ize"
in English be personal or even 'ad-hoc' preferences.

The DNS cannot handle an unbounded number of alternates; the best that
can be done is to prevent malicious registrations of sound-alike forms.
Variants (what you call "mapped" characters) are not directly supported
in the DNS. Thus there is no guarantee that all aliased or vairant
labels (derived from mapped code points) lead to the same server. (And
in some cases it is necessary for a server to know all ways by which it
can be reached).

I don't think we can simply wish away that problem - as attractive as it
would be for those cases where "free alternation" of spellings is an issue.

> There's perhaps another perceived unspoken requirement for uniqueness while still round-tripping through humans.  IMO, that's an unachievable expectation; there's no way a human can transcribe all of the reasonable names perfectly every time.  We can't even get O and 0 right, so dot below vs comma below or other more subtle issues are hopeless when written on a napkin.

The way people actually use domain names, writing them on napkins is
probably not the most common scenario. Does happen, but far from the
majority use case.

> I'd prefer that the IETF standard be very lax with respect to permissible characters, and, coming back to your document, encourage registrars to do the right thing for their customers with respect to permissible &/or mapped characters.

I see no reason to add to the perceptual problems by allowing code
points for which there is not good use case (i.e. they are not part of
some users' actual orthography and those users are among the targets of
that zone).

The protocols, on the other hand, need to serve all possible zones, so
they must be the least restrictive - what John is after is the reminder
that for a given zone, restrictions appropriate for the intended user
group must be put in place to make the zone as secure as possible.

A./