[Errata Held for Document Update] RFC5890 (4823)

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Sat Oct 8 19:26:48 CEST 2016

Martin and Markus,

As you may have guessed from my response to Jefsey, I largely
agree about the erratum.  I was just trying to get a bit ahead
on the document and this comment --for the distribution of which
I've removed the RFC Editor and IESG-- is very much in
anticipation of a future update that is not now on the radar.

After reading and thinking about your notes, I now believe that
it is probably useful to explain what is going on and why, but
that, as you surmise, there may be two types of readers.  For
those who are adequately familiar with Unicode, a comment in
terms of code points is likely to be sufficient and comments
about encoding forms will either add nothing or be confusing.
For someone without that level of knowledge, a comment about the
compressibility of various encoding forms is not likely to be
helpful and we really need to figure out how to explain what is
going on.  I recommend the task of figuring that out as an
exercise for the authors and contributors to that future
revision (if you have ideas/ suggestions, write me off-list and
I'll add it to my collection of pre-IDNA2008bis materials).

best,
    john

--On Saturday, October 08, 2016 19:23 +0900 "Martin J. Dürst"