[Technical Errata Reported] RFC5890 (4695)

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Sun May 22 08:40:34 CEST 2016

[What I say below also applies to erratum 4696. If it's desirable to
reply to that with the same comment, please let me know.]

I believe that Juan is essentially right.

This has come up before before, and possibly already noted by John
Klensin for fixing in an eventual update.

I provided some more detailed calculations with examples in the mail to
idna-update at alvestrand.no with the following identifying details:
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:05:58 +0900

Unfortunately, when I currently try to access the archive at
http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/idna-update/ from
https://www.ietf.org/wg/concluded/idnabis.html, I get the following:

----
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /pipermail/idna-update/ on this server.

Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at www.alvestrand.no Port 80
----

I have cc'ed Harald in the hope that the archive can be fixed soon.

I'm coping the relevant part of that mail here:

Here are my calculations. After a few tests, one finds out that punycode
uses a single 'a' to express 'one more of the same character'. The
question is then how many characters it takes punycode to express the
first character. Expressing that first character takes more and more
punycode characters as its Unicode number gets higher, so one has to
test with the smallest Unicode character that needs a certain number of
bytes in UTF-8. Going through lengths 1,2,3, and 4 per character in
UTF-8, we find:

1 octet per character in UTF-8:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.org gives
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.org
and has 63 characters, so 63 octets in UTF-8, 126 octets in UTF-16, and
252 octets in UTF-32.

2 octets per character in UTF-8:
¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢.org gives
xn--8aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.org
and has 58 characters, so 116 octets in UTF-8, 116 octets in UTF-16, and
232 octets in UTF-32. 59 seems possible in theory, but impossible in
practice.

ँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँँ.org (using the currently lowest encoded character that needs 3 bytes,
U+0901, DEVANAGARI SIGN CANDRABINDU), gives
xn--h1baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.org
and has 57 characters, so 171 octets in UTF-8, 114 octets in UTF-16, and
228 octets in UTF-32. Please note that even characters in the U+0800
range would need that much, because already a character such as 'ü'
needs that much.

Trying to assess how many characters one could use of
𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀𐌀.org

(using U+10300, OLD ITALIC LETTER A, the lowest character in Unicode 3.2
that needs 4 bytes in UTF-8) gives
xn--097caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.org
and has 56 characters, so 224 octets in UTF-8, 224 octets in UTF-16, and
224 octets in UTF-32.

Overall, we get a maximum label length in octets of 252 octets for
UTF-32 (with US-ASCII), and 224 octets in UTF-8 and UTF-16 (with Old
Italic and the like).

Regards,   Martin.