IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 28 22:56:28 CET 2015

> What some of us at least are trying to say is that, whereas in many cases we can in fact find a code point property that allows us to make the distinction, in this case there _isn't_ such a property.  That has indeed surprised us, and also it turns out to have implications for the way we'd been developing protocols.

I'm a little confused.  What kind of property are you looking for?  To do what?  The behavior of these characters obeys NFC, so the behavior seems to be clear to me.

Is there still a perceived "surprise" if these code points had visibly different glyphs or different names?  Names & glyphs aren't canonical Unicode properties

-Shawn