Roozbeh's concerns on IAB statement (was Re: Fwd: IAB Statement on Identifiers and Unicode 7.0.0)

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at google.com
Wed Jan 28 21:30:33 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:51:34AM -0800, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> > It's very unfortunate, and I'd say ill-informed. The conclusions are not
> > supported by the claims
>
> It would be very helpful to me if you could point out which statements
> are ill-informed or which conclusions are not supported by the
> premises in that statement.

Sure. I thought I and other have done that. But let me try:

There are three major things wrong wrong with the final recommendations. As
you were involved in the process, you can try to trace which is failed by
which phase:

   - Arabic letters which have absolutely no problem with normalization in
   Unicode, such as U+0624 ARABIC LETTER ALEF WITH HAMZA ABOVE are
   discouraged, with absolutely no difference in how Unicode treats them and
   how it treats U+00E4 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS. Both characters
   are canonically decomposed to two proper pieces. The reasoning for
   discouraging U+0624 appears to be that it has hamza in it.
   - Other Arabic letters that have the exact confusability issues that
   U+08A1 ARABIC LETTER BEH WITH HAMZA ABOVE

Note also that the IAB can produce advice to others, but it doesn't
> have a police force.  I would not be the least surprised if, on
> reflection, someone creating an identifier using Arabic script decided
> to ignore the general advice in one particular case.  Your network,
> your rules, after all.

Yes, but IAB is supposed to have done its homework. Others with not enough
knowledge in the matter may defer to IAB's conclusions, as the document
"appears" to be well-researched. So in practice, people may just block Yeh
Hamza because they don't know better, and the poor Arabic users spread
around the world would have a hard time finding.