IDNA and U+08A1 and related cases (was: Re: Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-json-i-json-05: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT))

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Jan 28 18:35:53 CET 2015

cc trimmed

At 20:28 27/01/2015, Shawn Steele wrote:
>like overkill.  At some point I think we get to the point where it's
>more valuable to provide other anti-phishing/bad guy technologies
>than focusing on confusables.  Focusing on the similarity of a
>string to another eventually reaches the point of diminishing
>returns since people are apt to follow egregiously evil links that
>are clearly unconfusable (at that level at least) anyway.

I understand. We are just initiating the CCC corporate process and
considering alliances on our priorities. We consider several
referential projects (names, numbers, parameters and documentation)
as such. However the main one we have is UNISIGN for our own use:
* we need non confusable database entries for identifying our
shareholders from every language, culture and orthotypography.
* while as a Libre project we do not have money to spend on
verifications due to UNICODE.

UNICODE is a typographic system: they must support every character in
the world, in the proper way people will want to use them. Our need
is to support people from the whole world and make sure all of us
find back their name in the base and get non confusable domain names
in the "FL" CLASS. These are two different needs. We have at this
stage no final design in mind. We are certainly not dogmatic but
operationalist: there is an effective situation we have to best
address.  Our first need is not for IDNs but for IIDs - and the way
we consider it for NDNs (Named Data Networks). I just quote it
because Vint raised the topic and I think that what we could do with
UNISIGN (when? how? I do not know) may be useful for IDNs and in line
with ML-DNS.

Best
jfc