Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 16 18:15:05 CET 2014

> UTS 46 will stay around, if only for the mapping layer.

> Whether the rest would be used by clients really depends on the progress made by registries.
> As for the deviation-character support, I think implementations could stop supporting them if the affected
> registries enforced bundle-or-block.

I’m not sure that’s trivial.  Would all of the next layers enforce them?  (Blogspot.com for example, I have no clue what, if anything, blogspot does for IDN, but it’s a place that allows random users to create domain names).  How would we know?

Some of the registrars also originally stated that they didn’t want to bundle.

> As to the additional symbols, implementations could stop ​supporting them if the registries forbade them.

Same thing.

-Shawn
​