Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Thu Jan 16 18:55:58 CET 2014

John C Klensin scripsit:

> The distinction between mapping for something typed or otherwise
> specified directly by the user and a mapping requirement for domains
> or URLs/URIs stored in documents, search or DNS examination programs,
> and the like keeps getting lost in this set of discussions, but is
> really, seriously, important.

I'm not so sure.  In the end, URLs in documents tend to be typed by
the user too, it's just a different kind of user.  You could argue that
document editors should do the mapping themselves, but then you're back
to the old stand.

> best,
>    john
>
> And, again,

Ceterum censeo ...

--
A few times, I did some exuberant stomping about,       John Cowan
like a hippo auditioning for Riverdance, though         cowan at ccil.org
I stopped when I thought I heard something at           http://ccil.org/~cowan
the far side of the room falling over in rhythm
with my feet.  --Joseph Zitt