Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Thu Jan 16 17:44:24 CET 2014

* Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>The sentiment in this thread that we can keep changing the rules also
>strikes me as bad. Going from IDNA2003 to UTS46 to just IDNA2008 to
>maybe something else in the future. The whole reason we set standards
>is stability. So you can build on top of a foundation you know will
>not change. We take this pretty seriously in most places. Not taking
>it seriously for something as fundamental as domain names strikes me
>as wrong.

Browser vendors care about not making changes they will have to revert.
Arguments that something should not be changed because of standards and
stability beyond that are rarely made by them. In fact, many of them
want to institutionalise that people cannot know what will change next
in their "Living Standards". Try finding examples of things that we can
rely on not changing that do not fall under my first sentence above.