"This case isn't the important one" (was Re: Visually confusable characters (8))

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 12 00:18:40 CEST 2014

> I suspect that what is going to be necessary for protocols is some sort of mapping mechanism to deal with this principle.
I'm not certain that you're going to get as mathematically precise of an answer as you'd like.  In some cases characters could be abused, in others they may just leave out a modifier, etc.

>It seems obvious that someone whose writing system uses a skeleton plus ijam that is not in Unicode version n is going to use some other combining sequence to write it.

That's not always true.  Sometimes they can't write it, or mess it up pretty badly.

The Hawaiian ʻOkina comes to mind because ʻ wasnʻt always available or easy to use.  So people used ' even though that's not even a letter!  Clearly ' is kinda bad for computing, so I'd hate to map it to ʻOkina.  And it'd be pretty unhappy to disallow the ʻOkina just because it happens to look like an apostrophe.

-Shawn