Objection to draft-klensin-idna-5892upd-unicode70

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 11 20:37:20 CEST 2014

> Can we please tone down the drama here? Until two months ago, they couldn't use the character in question in any written text.

I think that's the problem in the opposite direction.  IDN folks are causing 'drama' about a non-issue of a Unicode character without participating in Unicode where such things are discussed.

> That seems like a non sequitur because the draft never talks about "confusable". It talks about issues of composition. Given that difference, do you still highly object to the draft based on its contents?

There is no composition difference.  They're different characters, so there's no composition ambiguity.  There is a lack of understanding that they are different characters, which seems unfortunate.  Certainly at the machine level there's no change in composition rules, you have to look at the glyph(s) (or name) to even begin to wonder.

-Shawn