Unicode 7.0.0, (combining) Hamza Above, and normalization

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Aug 8 14:49:41 CEST 2014

John,

I think this is an important insight and it may indeed be the case that
normalization for Domain Name purposes and normalization for other purposes
are not as aligned as we supposed. Most users of the Unicoded scripts are
unaware of most or any of the various mechanisms associated with Unicode
and will likely be guided more by the principle of least astonishment than
anything else. I wonder whether a domain-name -specific normalization would
improve the likelihood of achieving the aim of that principle?