Unicode 7.0.0, (combining) Hamza Above, and normalization

Markus Scherer markus.icu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 21:34:48 CEST 2014

On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at cybersecurity.org
> wrote:

> A big +1 to what Andrew said. Vint may have been reacting viscerally, but
> the actual technical problem with this new character is (I believe) the
> normalization rules producing the wrong result. If I'm wrong, I'd be happy
> to be corrected.

That's roughly the opposite of what Andrew said. Andrew clarified Mark's
statement that the new character is not the same as its apparent
decomposition, and that's why it needed to be encoded separately and
without a Decomposition_Mapping. Please read again Andrew's "The difference
in this case, ..."

markus