Visually confusable characters (was: Re: Unicode 7.0.0, (combining) Hamza Above, and normalization for comparison)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Aug 7 19:37:40 CEST 2014

Hi.

Since my earlier note either crossed this in the virtual mail or
didn't have any effect, let me try again with a changed subject
line and some bullet points that I hope are easy to follow.

(1) The question of visually confusable characters has almost
nothing to do with the issue of combining Hamza Above, U+08A1,
and/or other code points that appear to consist of a combination
of an Arabic base character and a Hamza above it.   Confusing
the two just makes discussions more difficult if not impossible.

(2) The question of how one identifies "visually comfusable"
characters is a complex matter that can involve not only what
presentation form of those characters (e.g., type styles) that
are optimized for distinguishableness (e.g., I presume those
used in The Unicode Standard) look like, but some very
subjective issues about, e.g., what people expect to see.
Personally, I don't believe an objective standard and
categorization is possible unless one constrains the problem to
the point of making it uninteresting (e.g., by believing that
the world can, in practice, be forced into a single universal
type style of type family).

(3) The question of what one does once one identifies a pair (or
set) of characters as "visually confusable" is quite separate
from how those characters are identified (something that both
the JET effort and ICANN got right (by the time of the VIP
activity if not earlier).  There are lots of choices including
blocking all of them (which Mark's note seems to suggest),
letting one of the group be registered and then blocking the
others, making sure that all of them are allocated to or
controlled by the same party, trying to link them together at
either the DNS or application layers, and other, often more
complex, strategies.  I have trouble imagining any basis on
which the IETF or an IETF-derived WG list, would be the right
place for deciding on those strategies... even if we might help
identify some of the possibilities.

    john

p.s. RFC 5895 was never intended to be standards track.  Talking
about "denying" that status to it is misleading at best.

--On Thursday, August 07, 2014 18:18 +0200 JFC Morfin