Update to clarify combining characters

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Mon Apr 21 23:01:44 CEST 2014

On 4/21/14 9:51 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> >  I'm not aware of any registries that allow labels that begin with those characters.
> You can not know what I uses in my own zones...;-)

Setting the dials of the way-back machine waay-baack, when I pointed out
to Harald that in Abenaki we use several ASCII character sequences
inter-changeably ("ou", "w" and "8") as well as an "u atop o" character
defined in one or more extensions to ASCII, which typewritters with
half-height settings, and the character "8" have accommodated over the
past century, in support of a local (to a zone) semantic, e.g.,
equivalency of two labels, e.g., "ou.example" and "8.example" (or
"wabanaki.example" and "8abanaki.example" and "ouabanaki.example"),
Harald's cited a "principle of least astonishment" as why this could not
occur -- that he could in fact know what you use in your own zones.

Obviously, what ICANN gTLD registry operators do is governed by contacts
between they and ICANN, and what ccTLD registry operators is also
governed, in part, by desires for consistency, but below (or outside) of
these namespaces with _local_ (not pervasive to all levels of the tree)
restrictions  on labels, what resolves is a local question -- local in
the sense of both the FQDN, the RRSet associated, and the resolvers to
which query(s) are made.

Eric