[Editorial Errata Reported] RFC5891 (3969)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Apr 21 08:01:54 CEST 2014

FWIW, I am on idna-update at alvestrand.no list, so I did get the earlier messages as well.

> --On Sunday, 20 April, 2014 10:33 -0400 Barry Leiba
> <barryleiba at computer.org> wrote:
>
>>> Section 2.11 of the Unicode Standard explains what combining
>>> characters are only in general terms. Section 3.6 contains
>>> the actual definition.
>>
>> Peter, I see what you're saying, but I don't think a reference
>> to Unicode 5.2, Section 3.6, at least not alone, is what was
>> meant here in Section 4.2.3.2.  If anything, perhaps this is a
>> more appropriate change:
>>
>> OLD
>>  The Unicode string MUST NOT begin with a combining mark or
>> combining    character (see The Unicode Standard, Section 2.11
>> [Unicode] for an    exact definition).
>> NEW
>>  The Unicode string MUST NOT begin with a combining mark or
>> combining    character.  See The Unicode Standard, Section
>> 2.11 [Unicode] for an    explanation of combining characters,
>> and Section 3.6, definition D52 (et    seq) for an exact
>> definition.
>> END
>>
>> John will likely have some memory of what he intended here, so
>> let's see what he says.
>
> I'm away from my notes, so this is based on failing memories.  I
> might have more to say when I'm closer to them mid-week.  My
> recollection is that we wanted to point to what, in Barry's
> words above, are the "explanation", rather than the precise
> definition, in part because the former is much less
> Unicode-version-sensitive than Section 3.6 def D52.

In reality I think neither 2.11 nor 3.6 D52 are what we in IETF would call "definitions", except the first sentence of 3.6 D52:

> Combining character: A character with the General Category of Combining Mark (M).

> I have started a 5891bis draft to reflect Barry's suggested
> change.
>
> FWIW, with the possible exception of the choice of "exact
> definition" rather than "explanation", I don't see this as
> properly an erratum.  I believe that Barry's proposed text is an
> improvement, but a "hold for future update" improvement not a
> correction to a substantive error in the document.

What is needed IF we do this is to add a contextual rule that actually forbid all M codepoints as first codepoint of a string. I.e. an update to 5892 (that include the base seed for the contextual rule registry).

Like:

Appendix A.10.  COMBINING MARK

  Code point:
     0000..10FFFD

  Overview:
     String can not start with a COMBINING MARK.

  Lookup:
     True

  Rule Set:

     True;

     If General_Catergory(FirstChar) .eq. "Mc" Then False;
     If General_Catergory(FirstChar) .eq. "Mn" Then False;
     If General_Catergory(FirstChar) .eq. "Me" Then False;

  Patrik