[precis] Category changes with Unicode 6.3

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Thu Oct 24 20:00:18 CEST 2013

On 24 okt 2013, at 19:27, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 10/16/13 1:16 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> Yeah, I had to do it anyways -- as I am expert reviewer of the IANA
>> tables. New versions of the IANA tables where created by IANA the
>> other day, and I just approved them as they match my own
>> calculations. I.e. we have two completely independent implementations
>> of IDNA2008 (one at IANA, one that I have -- see link below) and I
>> compare the output of the two. If the output matches, then we are
>> pretty sure we are correct.
>
> Patrik, if I may ask, which implementation does IANA use?

Not mine :-)

I know Marc Blanchet was involved in developing it, because he asked me some questions, but honestly I do not know. You must ask IANA.

I had my code ready (I actually have two versions of the code, ruby and python -- where the ruby code is completely written from base up while python use some external libraries for a few things) when IANA started to implement theirs. I asked them to ensure they would develop their code completely independent from mine.

What we do though is that when IANA has calculated a new version of the tables (for a new version of Unicode) I do the calculations as well with my code. I do a diff, and if there are no differences, then I say "go" to IANA and they make the new version available.

   Patrik