Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Wed Aug 21 18:01:51 CEST 2013

> It's also not true for URLs in resources that depend on the mapping to
happen.

TR46 really has 3 parts:

   1. transitional handling for the 4 ambiguous characters
   2. inclusion of symbols
   3. client-side mapping (aka lowercasing)

Parts #1 and #2 are transitional in supporting IDNA2003 on the path to
IDNA2008.

Part #3 (client-side mapping) is something that is permitted by IDNA2008,
and is thus optional for even a fully IDNA2008-compliant implementation.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*