Standardizing on IDNA 2003 in the URL Standard

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Aug 20 00:36:20 CEST 2013

It seems to me that we would serve the community well if we work towards a
well-defined and timely transition to IDNA2008. It has a key property of
independence from any particular version of UNICODE (which was the primary
reason for moving in that direction). It also has a canonical
representation of domain labels which is also a powerful standardizing
element. We are all aware of the potential for some backward
incompatibility with IDNA2003 but the committee that developed IDNA2008
discussed these issues at length and obviously concluded that the features
of IDNA2008 were superior over all to the status quo. It is a disservice in
the long run to delay adoption of the newer design, especially given the
huge expansion of the TLD space - all these TLDs should be developed and
evolved on the IDNA2008 principles.

vint cerf