Updating RFC 5890-5893 (IDNA 2008) to Full Standard

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Fri Nov 16 23:45:15 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Dave Thaler <dthaler at microsoft.com> wrote:
> IE10 resolves http://www.ad--acta.de/ and you get to the page.
>
> And when you put in http://faß.de the page you get to after resolution and
> redirects is http://www.bayern-fass.de/cms/website.php

Thanks! So apart from Opera no browser has changed their IDNA
approach. And Opera has not exactly aligned with IDNA2008 either. It
seems the pragmatic approach is to stick with IDNA2003+, meaning
IDNA2003 algorithms with an updated version of Unicode.

I'm not at all convinced it's web compatible to change the approach
here, no matter how many warnings have been given to web developers
that non-normalized identifiers might not be portable in the long run.
Web developers expect backwards compatibility. And the approach to
make this work via domain registrars is flawed too, as that does not
account for subdomains, such as the one I mentioned earlier.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/