Lookup for reserved LDH labels

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Nov 7 13:01:56 CET 2012

Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:

> Marcos Sanz <sanz at denic.de> writes:
>
>> Thus, the protocol should never fail on lookup for "ad--acta.de". Is that
>> correct?
>
> I believe the intention is that it should fail,

After considering that IDNA2003 did not fail, and theere seems to be
real domains registered like that, let me take back that statement.

I don't have any opinion on what the intention behind IDNA2008 was, but
given that IDNA2003 permitted the domain, there are registered domains
like that out there, and the IDNA2008 lookup model is to trust DNS, and
IDNA2008 has specification unclarity/bugs in this area, I'm somewhat
inclined to feel that lookup for that address should work.

/Simon