Draft on IDN Tables in XML

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Sat Mar 10 23:45:54 CET 2012

Hi Shawn,

On Mar 8, 2012, at 8:42 AM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> How do these tables stay in-sync?   I mean, what happens when it disagrees with what is actually in the DNS zone files?

I think the simple answer is that is registry policy, and varies from zone-to-zone. It is not something where a specific approach needs to be harmonised.

For the typical use case, the registry consults with the IDN table at registration time to compute the set of variants. Then, based on a specific domain's policy, the set would typically be recorded in the registry system (as delegated, reserved, blocked, etc.). I imagine if the table changed on which the registry based its policy, it would need its own procedures for dealing with that, but that would be outside the scope of the specification. Some may opt to only use the changed set on new registrations and grandfather in the old ones, depending on the reason why the maintain variants.

kim