how did the idna theory start?

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Sun Jul 1 21:31:30 CEST 2012

On 1 jul 2012, at 18:42, John C Klensin wrote:

> I believe that, although we
> reached the right conclusion,  we underestimated, and often
> continue to underestimate, the complexity of comparisons of
> Unicode strings.

Let me emphasize this.

We (yes, I include myself here) that have been working on comparison algorithm(s) of Unicode strings for years and years and years STILL "too often" find issues.

All the time.

"Just use Unicode" is *not* something that make the solution simpler. In fact, I claim that increases the risk people will "just" compare unicode strings by doing a byte by byte comparison.

And I have not even started talk about collation.

   Patrik