IDN processing-related security considerations for draft-ietf-websec-strict-transport-sec

J-F C. Morfin jfc at morfin.org
Fri Sep 30 17:40:52 CEST 2011

Jeff,

I am sorry I cannot study your inputs before one or two weeks. From
your mail, I fear there is a misunderstanding concerning the impact
of IDNA2008 on the architecture and security of the network user side.

Basically, the problem is as follows:

- the support of a language in the OSI model is achieved at the
presentation layer.
- the support of the linguistic diversity (scripts and
orthotypography of each language) at end user level, to be constantly
adapted to variants as demanded by people and the foreseeable
semantic orient extension of networking, means an incredibly complex
presentation layer.
- the Internet has no presentation layer.

However, IDNA2008 has introduced a stable, simple, and secure way to
support the IDN linguistic diversity. That it was able to do it
without changing a single bit in existing Internet protocols means
that this way was buried into the Internet architecture from the very
beginning. Warning!: that it took ten years to exemplify a solution
without documenting an architectural principle in line with RFC 1958
and 3439 means that the true Internet model is not with us yet.

This new model is under IETF and non-IETF investigation - and you
participate in its exploration. What we already know is that:

- from the beginning of the IDNA2008 work I asked if the target was
to support IDNA for the Internet or for the users. The charter and
the Chair said "for the Internet". So, I committed to make sure that
I could build the user oriented extension (I called the ML-DNS as in
multi-layer) on top of the IDNA2008 solution. My referent was the
support of French semantics in IDNs. There were rough times but a
Pete Resnick and Paul Hoffman I_D (which became the RFC 5865 for
information) exemplified a solution for our "unusual" case and
permitted a full consensus. It introduced (my reading) cooperation
with external subsidiarity as an Internet architectural principle.

- that consensus was however questioned on two points:
   - by me: the inability to support orthotypographic metadata
(example: the meaningful French majuscules - that may be represented
by but are not upper cases)
   - by the AD: the very IDNA architecture concept is costly and
insecure. Several applications (as what you discuss) on the same
machine may resolve the same user entry to different IPs.

This called for the concept of a smart (virtual) middlebox I named
the IUI (see below). It had to be simple (RFC 2934), optional
(introduction) and at fringes (because being smart) or at edges (OPES).

I was one of the active people in discussing this:

1. I reported the IESG my IDNA2008 unresolved problems as Project.FRA
leader, an experimental project of open networked ontology supported
by a Francophone namespace:
     - the way I would architecturally address it,
     - the urgency for them to accept IDNA2008 so we could start
working on a stable definition of the Internet Use Interface IETF
requirements (IUI).
     - the implied major problem of IETF responsibility (cf. RFC
3935) in specifying the resulting multi-technology users' digital
ecosystem Intelligent Use Interface (IUI)
     - I would address through an appeal.

2. I therefore constructively appealed against the lack of an IESG or
IAB disclaimer in IDNA2008 RFCs alerting everyone of the implied
enormous extension and simplification in reading the Internet
technology. The lack of disclaimer has lead to several requests for
information like yours (WG/PRECIS, Hapiana, ICANN/WG/VIP) and work at the IUCG.

The IESG and IAB response and the parallel IAB road map were equally
constructive. IAB/IESG responses and RFC 5865 lead to understand that
IUI architectures and standardization are not in the in the IETF area
and that interfacing protocol should be completed by an informational
"how to" in the case no IUI is being involved (as exemplified by the
IDNA2008 RFC set).

Based upon my position during the WG work and the final consensus we
reached, I would suggest this simple rule: the IETF can use MUSTs
only for the end to end, SHOULDs only for the fringe to fringe, and
MAYs for the applications to applications. This way Internet protocol
requirements are stable and clear, and IUI test designers and further
standardizers have clear inputs to implement their services and their
interface with the various local applications (network apps such as
the DNS, IUI mutual service apps, and the User's side applications
such as a browser).

Without prejudging the finalization of the post-IDNA2008 Internet and
digital ecosystem Model, I think the "plug, end, fringe, application,
brain" layering protects the future.
jfc