wrt IDNA2008 migration (was: IDN processing-related security considerations for draft-ietf-websec-strict-transport-sec)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Oct 2 05:06:28 CEST 2011

At 02:27 02/10/2011, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
>The third choice, of course, was to maintain backwards compatibility
>with 2003 for all characters in Unicode 3.2, and just extend the
>same principles to new characters. That is a much easier migration path...
>
>We've seen this before. XML 1.1 only had a small
>breaking-compatibility changes, but those changes were enough to
>completely doom it.

Mark,

Your "backwards" compatibility word is correct in terms of usage
(your part as Unicode), but is architecurally incorrect because what
you actually want is "forwards" IDNA2003 compatibility, with
extensions to Unicode 6.1, etc. And this is exactly what IDNA2008
permits but has not documented yet.

IDNA2003 actually tested a bundle of different concepts. This test
shown that most of these concepts were OK but that the bundling
introduced layer violations. The operational IDNA2003 (your need)
works.The architectural IDNA2003 (the IETF and users' need) does not scale.

>But as you say, that was not the rough consensus of the WG.

To the countrary. And this is why I pushed for  a quick consensus
and  for working on IDNA2010 (as the technical use of  IDNA2008) and
then on  IDNA2012 (as the general usage of IDNA2008).

Why? you may recall that after the LCs the AD started to raise good
architectural questions leading the IESG to not accept RFC 5895 as a
WG deliverable. These questions and their solutions were of the
essence but ... outside the WG charter.

It was then an absolute necessity that we establish IDNA2008, so we
might work on the following steps, rather than keeping discussing
along our limited charter.

As a result, RFC 5895 was not discussed by the WG as it should have
had. Therefore, an IDNA2003 section was not included which should
have documented how developpers could develop a scalable "IDNA2003
interface" (i.e. a "forewards" adaptibillity at [or with] the user
application and an IDNA2008 interface with the Internet DNS). Such an
"IDNA2003 layer" is one of the multiple layers (ML) the IDNA2008
conformant ML-DNS should support.

Best.
jfc