Lower casing

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 29 19:13:24 CET 2011

Well, that's why there's UTR#46 :)  (Because IDNA2008 didn't allow for compatibility).

Mark Davis, myself, and others tried to point out that importance of compatibility and mappings.  Note that, for web sites, the eszett, etc. is needed for display, not matching.  People would like their display to be correct, however matching cannot change.

Here's the problem (actually only one) with just turning on a switch and dropping the old behavior:

* I get my bright new shiny browser and go to myßbank.com.  Cool!  It works in IDNA2008.
* Of course there are maybe a billion computers on the planet?
* Now I have to take a business trip and need to check my balance.   So I go to the local library and visit myßbank.com.  It takes me to myssbank.com, which just happens to be spoofing myßbank.com.

We also asked that bundling be required to avoid this, but it isn't.  I'm not going to make a change that has this severe of a security problem.  It's one thing to be spoofed by a typo.  It's completely different to be spoofed by the right name.

We are agreed that eszett, etc. are necessary for display, but I'm not going to intentionally cause a state where different domain names go to different web sites on different machines.

We still have machines running Windows 2000, Windows XP.  (And probably older.)  If I could guarantee that everyone upgraded their system instantly, or even a month, maybe this could work.  Unfortunately the evidence is that there's a very long tail of people that don't take the necessary updates.

I am definitely NOT saying that "I know German better than Germans."  Eszett is important for proper display of words, in German, especially in Germany.  However I see that I cannot register aaa.com for Aardvarks Advocates of Antartica because it's already taken, and even though the current aaa.com owners have nothing to do with Aardvarks (AFAIK).  So I have no problem with saying "sorry, fußball.com" is already disallowed because someone has "fussball.com", or the opposite.

Sure, there are a few cases where there is a semantic difference between two words in Germany that would be spelled the same in Switzerland, but I thought there we were pretty clear on numerous other threads that DNS labels are intended as conveniences, and not a way to enable every semantic concept in every language.  For example, I seriously doubt that the case matching of i and I will ever be change in DNS to allow for the Turkish expectations.  Even in English there're concepts that are mutual exclusive but we'd see as different if CamelCased.

I believe my company is pretty unanimous on this; I've talked with other experts in IE, DNS infrastructure, and other teams.  That includes one of your co-authors of draft-iab-idn-encoding.  We cannot implement IDNA2008 without UTS#46, it is a potentially serious security problem.  We made that fairly clear before the RFCs were published.  It's also clear that we aren't the only company with this belief.  I won't speak for them, but would note that Mark wrote UTS#46 and made the comment that started this branch of the thread.

I think you miscounted:  With native UTF-8 not being normalized or mapped or anything, IDNA2008 by itself would cause three lookup systems, not two:  UTF-8, IDNA2003 & IDNA2008.  I believe that reconciling UTF-8 lookup with the IDNA2003/UTS#46 mappings is a huge problem that needs to be solved, likely outside the scope of this thread.

-Shawn

PS: FWIW: My PERSONAL preference would be that there be an additional record that explicitly states the desired display form.  Then DNS can be used for matching/lookup (as it should be, and has been), and domain owners could still state their intent, with CamelCasing or other differences that are important to them, which may not even be semantic, but could be.

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnste