Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Tue Dec 13 19:16:27 CET 2011

Having been reading this discussion with great interest, I don't
understand what problem is being solved.  Is it:

A) Only display names that are not deceptive?

B) Don't display names that might be deceptive?

C) Don't display names that fail to meet some policy that
doesn't really have anything to do with deception?

D) Only display names that meet some policy?

E) Something else?

It clearly can't be A, since there's plenty of room for deception in
plain ASCII, and people can put random names at the Nth level, e.g.,
FDIC.GOV.FOO.BAR.SOMETHING.TLD.  Beyond that, I'm baffled.

R's,
John