Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Sat Dec 10 21:58:41 CET 2011

There is a set of basic levels for mixing scripts set up in
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/proposed.html#Security_Levels_and_Alerts(I'd
recommend reading the material before that section, however, for
background information.)

A more comprehensive approach would be to use some of the mixed-script and
whole-script confusable data as described in
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr39/proposed.html. Note that that data will
grow over time; in particular, I'd expect the Indic confusables to be
fleshed out further. I'd expect it to incorporate some of the work ongoing
in ICANN for identifying confusables, as well.

There is a table of recommended scripts for identifiers in
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/proposed.html#Table_Recommended_Scripts.
I wouldn't recommend mixtures of those those with others scripts (like
Latin), or allowing whole-script confusables of other scripts that match
those. That helps to keep out many of the characters that are extremely
confusable with Latin.

I'm pointing to the proposed-update versions of these documents; comments
are welcome on the text. The next meeting of the UTC to consider feedback
will be in February.

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*
*