Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sat Dec 10 18:48:20 CET 2011

On 10 dec 2011, at 18:26, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> D: Unicode if the label is a single script that is displayable by the browser, Punycode otherwise.

+1

With the exceptions for combinations of various scripts and script COMMON.

Or in other words: If the domain name can be displayed as a U-label, in a technically safe way, why not display it as an U-label?

If I, that do not know Han, get a label in Han, I claim it is as non-understandable by me in Han as an A-label, but I must say it is much more nice to see it in Han than the alternative.

Why discriminate against some scripts?

I.e. my view is that we should really limit the number of cases where A-label is displayed to the user.

If nothing else because people should and must start to understand we live in a multi script and multi cultural world.

   Patrik