Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Dec 9 23:01:39 CET 2011

--On Friday, December 09, 2011 13:32 -0800 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2011, at 12:55 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
>
>> It is for ICANN to get really serious about doing
>> properly what you are trying to approximate.
>
> <laughing too hard to catch my breath>
>
>> It probably won't happen.
>
> Oh, good, you're not batshit insane.

Always  happy to have the opportunity to brighten your day.

I actually wrote "It obviously won't happen" first, but I'm
actually not quite that pessimistic (ok, emphasis on "quite").
Or I think the risks going forward are high enough that it is
worth trying to make that particular part of the system work
even if one is less than optimistic about success.

Maybe insane, but possibly not over into "batshit".

FWIW, the IAB's iana-strategy program is busy trying to assemble
a letter/ questionnaire response that gives the current regime a
ringing endorsement.  That effort is mostly focused on IANA
performance, but there are overlaps and the driving question has
to do with what organization will be providing IANA services
later in 2012.  If you believe that things at ICANN are so
horribly broken that anyone who suggests trying to use the
system to get more responsible behavior is insane (batshit or
otherwise), maybe you want to speak up on that issue... perhaps
including about what you think the alternatives are.