Browser IDN display policy: opinions sought

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Dec 9 19:18:16 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 09:57:26AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> That may "surely" be the point for you, but I suspect you are in the minority. For me, the point is to have my name rendered as well as possible in as many places as possible. I won't bother getting a domain name that can't render well anywhere, but I will get one if I believe that it will look better than the inaccurate all-ASCII one I have now. You may be over-applying what you think surely should be others' expectations on people who have different desires.

I think you're generalizing on what you think people believe about the
browser world, and I think Gerv has an excellent point.  A major
problem with approach A is that there is no way whatever to predict
how a given IDN will appear for people on the Internet.  That, at
least, is one of the complaints I've heard a lot of this year.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com