WGLC: draft-faltstrom-5892bis-04.txt

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Apr 27 16:06:44 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 09:28:25AM -0400, Vint Cerf wrote:
> algorithms for PVALID, etc. Does anyone know whether U+19DA has
> actually been used in any domain names?

Short of scanning the entire DNS of the entire Internet (presumably
including split-brain cases where the name is not visible in the
public tree), non-evidence of use doesn't show very much.  But it
seems a very unlikely character.

Implicit in the decision in the past about these sorts of cases was
that we'd treat them case by case.  The reason to do that was that
some (potential) incompatibilities are more serious than others.  IF
we were changing the rules around (say) the character "0", I'm quite
sure that the reaction would be different.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.