U-labels, NFC, and symmetry

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Apr 15 19:32:47 CEST 2011

On 4/15/11 11:27 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On 15 apr 2011, at 18.36, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>>> But, modulo a potential issue with characters newly-added to
>>> Unicode, I still don't see the case for NFD: it certainly doesn't
>>> make string comparisons any easier.
>>
>> Thanks for the input. I shan't post further in this thread until
>> I've had a chance to think about things some more and check with
>> some of the implementers in the XMPP community.
>
> A suggestion, just because I know this discussion was ongoing in the
> XMPP community many many many moons ago, I think you have to find the
> *real* issues and reasons why NFD was chosen instead of NFC.

Folks, the XMPP community has not chosen NFD, the XMPP community is
considering whether to choose NFD or stick with NFC as is done in
IDNA2008. The discussion in this thread is valuable input that will help
educate the XMPP community, and perhaps others, regarding the costs and
benefits of NFD vs. NFC. So I say thank you for the input while I work
to socialize these insights in the XMPP community.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/