Unicode 5.2 -> 6.0

Michel Suignard michel at suignard.com
Fri Oct 15 06:12:54 CEST 2010

>From: Nicolas Williams
>
>The test I propose then is: if we can find a font that can render once-PVALID-now-DISALLOWED characters, then grandfather (or consider other factors), else don't.

I think someone (Ken?) already mentioned that, but you are always guaranteed to have few folks that have fonts to render every new characters added to Unicode. I for one as project editor for ISO/IEC10646 (Unicode ISO sibling) have always fonts to render all characters, including characters in the pipeline for future additions (over 1000 at this stage). And that is true for all editors working on the charting process for both Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646. Furthermore, these fonts are typically provided by contributors from the language community for that new script. We always require a functional font for every new repertoire coming into the standards.

In other words, your initial assertion is always true (assuming I am part of the 'we''), so your test is not terribly useful.

Michel