IDNABIS Working Group completes its work

Lisa Dusseault lisa.dusseault at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 21:29:23 CET 2010

To answer the question about my concerns, I was particularly worried about
client implementations of mappings: the WG consensus call indicated that
those who had plans to implement mappings, planned to implement TR46 rather
than the WG product.

The WG had a lot of discussions a year ago about whether to leave mappings
as a free-for-all and what I heard at that time was that a lot of people saw
the value in consistent mappings across implementations -- so a user going
from one browser to another, or from email to a browser, won't be surprised
at where they end up.  Unfortunately, we didn't arrive at a conclusion that
provided that consistency, with one set of mappings proposed by the Unicode
Consortium and another set proposed by this WG.  I still hope for Unicode
and IETF participants both to work on understanding why there are
conflicting requirements and gain a realistic view of what is likely to be
implemented (and over what transition period).  So, work can continue thanks
to individual contributions and reviews, or even through the possibility of
a future WG.

Lisa