Distributed configuration of "private" IDNA (Re: IDNA and getnameinfo() and getaddrinfo())

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Fri Jun 18 02:57:35 CEST 2010

> NFD can and has leaked.  MacOS X's HFS+ normalizes filenames to
> NFD on create, and when you list directories the names appear in NFD.

We're aware of that issue.

> (Names that breaks because of differences inIDNA2003 and 2008 will
>  be few and far between, and not that big a deal.)

Actually IDNA2008 doesn't provide any standard mapping form, so users expecting reasonable IDNA2003 mappings will break quite often :(  Fortunately UTS#46 helps with that.

> Affected users may be annoyed at first, but also presumably overjoyed as well at the aesthetic/semantic improvement.)

Primarily we hear when they're annoyed :)  When something "breaks" we are bound to have tons of feedback about the change.  Obviously we want to "do the right thing."  Getting there from the current installed base is sometimes tricky.

-Shawn