IDNA and getnameinfo() and getaddrinfo()

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 15 18:54:46 CEST 2010

We're in agreement, I think.  I'd rather have IDN work for getname, etc. by default though.  (Then maybe it'd "just work"?)  Instead of ToUnicode(), which is very specific, I'd prefer a more general "GetPrettyDNSName()."  Then, if more steps than just ToUnicode() are ever interesting, the gory details are hidden from the app.  Specifially, on machines hosting both UTF-8 (or other code page) and Punycode DNS, the actual form of "pretty" could differ depending on how a name was looked up.

For email, at least, UTF8SMTP is much smarter.  The DNS layer is muddy still, but at least the addresses are "just utf-8", and don't get to this state of having strange encodings leaking all over the place.

-Shawn

http://blogs.msdn.com/shawnste