Protocol Action: 'Right-to-left scripts for IDNA' to Proposed Standard

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com
Mon Feb 15 18:45:13 CET 2010

Another layer would be a HUGE issue.

I agree that this behavior may be locale dependent, however we're getting a tremendous amount of push-back from the Arabic speaking nations and governments to "fix" IE's rendering (currently basically UBA).  The "fix" requested is effectively c.b.a//:http.  (I'm not saying this is "right", just that we need to investigate what's going on.)

My understanding is that even if "consistency" was a trump card, that systems today still aren't consistent.  Apparently in some places the UBA is overridden for display of the URL, and in others it's ignored, so "keeping" UBA still isn't going to cause consistency.  (Although I'm getting tons of feedback, I'm not considering myself a BIDI expert, so I don't have a lot of detail regarding where this works and where it does not. I'm "only" trying to point out that this working group are at odds with the feedback we're getting from the Arabic community & governments.  I'm hearing all the complaints because I'm our "IDN expert." :)

I'm not trying to advocate any particular behavior.  I AM trying to advocate that we don't bother with presentation until such time as we can get clear expectations from as many BIDI communities as possible.

I "get" that there are numerous reasons for why we're in this state, I'm merely pointing out that the users don't care how we got here, or that some layers may be hard to "fix", they're just confused by the current behavior.

Although I'd conceed that different cultural expectations may come in to play, the feedback we're getting from bidi users is reasonably consistent.  (We are trying to ensure that we're getting data from all bidi speaking communities, but most of our feedback is from the Middle East.)

Maybe what we really need is a "display of BIDI IRIs" WG.

-Shawn