I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-01.txt

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Fri Dec 24 03:52:14 CET 2010

On 2010/12/23 1:53, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Wednesday, December 22, 2010 08:17 -0800 Paul Hoffman
> <phoffman at imc.org>  wrote:
>
>>> When the algorithm presented in RFC 5892 is applied using the
>>> property definitions of Unicode Standard Version 6.0, the
>>> result will be different from when it is applied using the
>>> property definitions of Version 5.2. There are 2,088 new
>>> characters in Version 6.0 which change from UNASSIGNED to
>>> another value. In addition, 3 characters defined in Unicode
>>> 5.2 have different values, as described in Section 1.
>>
>> I like the addition of "property definitions" to make the
>> existing sentence more precise. I do not like the implication
>> of "UTC added thousands of characters, so changing a few is no
>> big deal".

If that's the implication, I also don't like that sentence. However, I
was reading it as a simple statement of fact. If I remember correctly,
the current draft does not mention all the new characters explicitly,
and I think it would be a good idea to mention them explicitly, as Mark
has proposed (but in a slightly different wording that makes sure the
above implication is less probable).

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp