I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-01.txt

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Dec 23 18:33:26 CET 2010

Ken said what I was trying to say, but much more clearly and hypobolically.
Further, I agree with John about the direction that the text should take.

I have two quibbles about the current wording:

       When the algorithm presented in RFC 5892 is applied to
       Unicode 6.0 and all newly-added code points are ignored
       the results will differ from when it is applied to
       Unicode 5.2 for the three code points discussed in this
       document.

The phrasing "algorithm presented in RFC 5892 is applied to Unicode 6.0" is
a bit odd, and inconsistent with 5892. If anything, the algorithm applies to
code points, not a version of the standard. The phrasing that is used
in 5892 is "It then defines an algorithm for determining a derived property
value. It specifies a procedure, and not a table, of code points so that the
algorithm can be used to determine code point sets independent of the
version of Unicode that is in use." Thus the algorithm *determines* a
derived property value *using* a version of the Unicode standard.

Moreover, "newly-added code points" is incorrect. No version of Unicode
(except very early versions) has *added code points*. Code points are from 0
to 0x10FFFF; that hasn't changed. Instead, it has added *characters*, by
designating previously-reserved code points as representing (new)
characters.

So I'm guessing the most consistent language to use in the new document
would be:

When the algorithm presented in RFC 5892 uses Unicode 6.0, and all
characters added by Unicode 6.0 are ignored, the results will differ from
when it is used with Unicode 5.2 for the three code points discussed in
this document.

Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*