I-D Action:draft-faltstrom-5892bis-01.txt

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Dec 23 13:29:32 CET 2010

I agree with ken's suggested formulations.

As to Jefsey's position, I don't think I agree. In other words, the
codepoints defined as PVALID in RFC 5892 are derived from Unicode 5.2. The
intent of IDNABIS was to define that algorithm in such a way that the
determination of PVALID would be through the application of it to any
specific version of Unicode. Provision was made in the algorithm to preserve
backward compatibility through the reversal of algorithmic results for
specific characters whose properties might have changed between Unicode
versions.

The IETF discussions and consensus (as proposed in the instant internet
draft), adopts the position that the change in "PVALIDITY" of three
characters between the application of the algorithm to Unicode 6.0 and to
Unicode 5.2 is not of sufficient consequence to merit forcing backward
compatibility with the results obtained using Unicode 5.2.

The IDNABIS WG consensus was that changes of this kind would require RFC
level procedures to determine whether backward compatibility had to be
preserved or whether a new prefix was needed, so that is why we are
discussing this I-D.

I agree with this consensus statement (and with Ken Whistler's formulation
of the text).

vint