my comments on draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi-05

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Wed Sep 9 03:46:55 CEST 2009

Hello Harald,

On 2009/09/09 4:32, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Omitting BN from LTR labels was a mistake that crept in between -03 and
> -04. In order to allow the use of ZWNJ/ZWJ with Indic scripts, BN should
> definitely be allowed in LTR labels.
>
> I'll fix it in -05.

Great!

> Hm.... interestingly, my tests never tested what happens to a BN in the
> BIDI
> algorithm; since paragraph X9 of the BIDI algorithm specification said
> to ignore
> BN, I simply omitted it from my test strings. So I have no idea whether
> a BN at the
> end of a label will jump over delimiters or not - or even if the
> question is meaningful in the context of the Unicode BIDI algorithm. (am
> writing this on a plane, so can't check).

I think the answer is at the end of X9
(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#X9):

The zero width joiner and non-joiner affect the shaping of the adjacent
characters—those that are adjacent in the original backing-store order,
even though those characters may end up being rearranged to be
non-adjacent by the Bidirectional Algorithm. For more information, see
Section 5.3, Joiners. (http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#Joiners)

So the characters don't jump, they affect whatever characters are
adjacent to them in logical order.

> The present formulation has the interesting effect that BN is now forbidden
> at the beginning and end of strings, which was not true in -03. I think
> that is an improvement (it outlaws strings like "BN EN", which seems to
> have been permitted by the -03 rule), but is one that I didn't make
> consciously.

We have to carefully check whether we need ZWJ or ZWNJ at the start or
at the end of a label.

For the Arabic script, ZWNJ at the start or at the end of a label
doesn't have any effect. But ZWJ has an effect. However, as I
understand, we allow ZWJ inside a label for cases such as Persian, where
only the cases inside a label are relevant.

For Indic, the ZWJ and ZWNJ have to follow a virama, so there is no
issue at the start. I don't know whether there are cases where they are
needed at the end.

Regards,   Martin.

#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp