Concerns about the "szett" exception

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Mon Oct 26 15:15:48 CET 2009

The Unicode Consortium shares your concerns about the treatment of
deviations, and the security and interoperability issues resulting from that
and custom mappings. Unfortunately, while those points were raised
consistently during the development of IDNA2008 (some would say too
persistently), the working group decided on its current course.

We have been consulting with browser and search engine vendors (many of whom
are members of the consortium), and I would anticipate that most will not
end up implementing IDNA2008 lookup as is because of the problems it has.
TR46 is designed by those needing to implement IDNA lookup so as to provide
a bridge specification, whereby implementations can maximize compatibility
with IDNA2003 and IDNA2008 on the lookup side, and avoid these problems. On
the "dual lookup" and "trusted registries" point that you mention: the text
of TR46 is insufficiently clear. That section is discussing alternative
approaches that were considered, but discarded (because they don't work
well, as Marcos pointed out in detail). I'll make sure that that feedback is
brought into the committee.

TR46 is not really aimed at the registry side. It is feasible for registries
to implement IDNA2008 if they additionally DISALLOW the four deviations
(including es-zett). This can be done while being conformant to IDNA2008,
because registries can further limit the characters they support.

Mark