RTL labels and numbers?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Wed Oct 14 16:41:34 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 08:57:53AM -0400, Vint Cerf wrote:
> There was endless discussion on this particular question (inter-label
> rules) and the group consensus was that this added too much complexity.
> The existence of DNAMES that you cannot test before registration was a
> major argument against using inter-label methods to qualify a label's
> validity.

Worse, you can't test them _after_ registration, either.  There is in
fact no way to produce inter-label tests that work predictably,
consistently, and reliably.  Even if you didn't have the DNAME
problem, you have issues resulting from wildcards too.

And remember, this rule is not just for the meanings of "registry"
that mean "top-level domain zone operators".  In our context,
"registry" means "zone operator", at any level in the tree.  That's
what the rule constrains.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.