[Idna-arabicscript] mapping of Full Stops

Erik van der Poel erikv at google.com
Sun Oct 11 18:03:36 CEST 2009

In my opinion, it would be premature to include U+06D4 in the IDNAbis
mapping draft (apart from the fact that it is rather late in the Last
Calls process to be making such a change). U+3002 has a much longer
history in IDNA and is much more firmly established. If U+06D4 would
be mapped to U+002E at the data interchange level (think HTML), there
would be a period where IDNA2003 implementations and new
implementations would resolve domain names differently. Of course, the
IDNAbis mapping draft explicitly states that it is intended to be used
at the UI level (e.g. keyboard input), but, frankly, I don't think we
have much experience with IDNA implementations that distinguish
between the UI and data interchange levels.

Erik