[Gen-art] LC review: draft-ietf-idnabis-bidi-06.txt

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Oct 5 19:00:50 CEST 2009

Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> Probably the simplest solution for the first part of the "major"
> problem is to add text at the front of the rules section (section 2),
> that states something like:
> The rules about character properties given here are additional
> restrictions on what characters are permitted in specific DNS labels,
> augmenting the basic rules as defined in [ref...]
>
> That would make clear that "." is not allowed just because it is
> flagged CS, and would tell the reader where to look if they are
> reading in other than the recommended order, or if it has been too
> long since they read the other document.
>
> However, that still leaves the confusion about the fact that section 3
> states that CS is prohibited, when section 2 says that CS is
> permitted.   I do not know enough about what is being intended to
> suggest clarifying text for the paranethetical in section 3.
Thanks for catching this.

The full set of CS characters is:

002C;COMMA;Po;0;CS;;;;;N;;;;;
002E;FULL STOP;Po;0;CS;;;;;N;PERIOD;;;;
002F;SOLIDUS;Po;0;CS;;;;;N;SLASH;;;;
003A;COLON;Po;0;CS;;;;;N;;;;;
00A0;NO-BREAK SPACE;Zs;0;CS;<noBreak> 0020;;;;N;NON-BREAKING SPACE;;;;
060C;ARABIC COMMA;Po;0;CS;;;;;N;;;;;
202F;NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE;Zs;0;CS;<noBreak> 0020;;;;N;;;;;
2044;FRACTION SLASH;Sm;0;CS;;;;;N;;;;;
FE50;SMALL COMMA;Po;0;CS;<small> 002C;;;;N;;;;;
FE52;SMALL FULL STOP;Po;0;CS;<small> 002E;;;;N;SMALL PERIOD;;;;
FE55;SMALL COLON;Po;0;CS;<small> 003A;;;;N;;;;;
FF0C;FULLWIDTH COMMA;Po;0;CS;<wide> 002C;;;;N;;;;;
FF0E;FULLWIDTH FULL STOP;Po;0;CS;<wide> 002E;;;;N;FULLWIDTH PERIOD;;;;
FF0F;FULLWIDTH SOLIDUS;Po;0;CS;<wide> 002F;;;;N;FULLWIDTH SLASH;;;;
FF1A;FULLWIDTH COLON;Po;0;CS;<wide> 003A;;;;N;;;;;

At the moment, I can't reconstruct what we were thnking when we decided
to allow it.
The parenthetical remark can go without great loss; nothing depends on
it. But I wondre why we are allowing CS at all.

                     Harald