AW: Consensus Call on Latin Sharp S and Greek Final Sigma

Georg Ochsner g.ochsner at revolistic.com
Mon Nov 30 15:52:15 CET 2009

Thanks for stating that clearly, Alex. The question then is, how can we get
back to a "greenfield" with the entire German alphabet including sharp s.

If we make sharp s DISALLOWED now the decision will be definite (and in my
eyes wrong or at least at a wrong level (layer)). If we make it PVALID this
will leave the choice open to the registries (!) for the future. And there
are many ways to get this fixed considering reasonable planning and
timeframe. Bundling or grandfathering would be one way, waiting until almost
all applications switched from 2003 to 2008 would be another one - even if
it takes time. At the end nic.at can also refuse to have sharp s registered
at all, not even thinking about a possible rollout. So my recommendation
would be to keep the possibilities open for the future because circumstances
may change in the near and far future. There should be no exigent reason for
you to bury the sharp s today for all time. And finally mappings like in
2003 will no longer be part of 2008 anyway.

Best regards
Georg